View Single Post
  #80   ^
Old Mon, Feb-09-09, 09:46

Plan: Metabolic Typing Diet
Stats: 287/259/180 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 26%

Quote:
It's a heck of a lot cheaper to make sauerkraut yourself than to lug it home from Holland, though!

I have made sauerkraut at home with my homegrown cabbage, but we have a kraut maker not too far away who makes incredible kraut. I like "new kraut" when it's bubbly like champagne.

Thank you so much for the info about hydrolyzed proteins. My husband loves smoked almonds and I've been concerned about the hydrolyzed soy. We both are extremely fond of salt in all forms, though I use Redmund salt for cooking and for the horse. In the summer we both have to drink salt water sometimes to keep our potassium/sodium balance.

Quote:
I love fermented foods and I make a lot at home. I have no problems with sauerkraut, kimchi, pickled turnips and cucumbers, and coconut milk yogurt. However, a lot of fermented drinks mess up my head. Supposedly they only have trace amounts of alcohol; I'm inclined to think there are other products of fermentation that also bother me. I've heard that amines and acetates cause trouble for some people - and sure enough, anything with acetic acid (vinegar) makes me "drunk" for 24 hours. I can't have vinegar, wine, kefir, or kombucha.

Wow! A lot of my background is German and I like to drink diluted apple cider vinegar. We love fermented cucumbers in the summer and so does the dog. It's hard to ferment things in the winter in Maine because all the lovely little critters in the air are at rest. Once it cools off in the autumn I've found it much harder to ferment cucumbers.

Does anyone on this site ever address nitrosamines? I optidose Vitamin C so don't worry about the toxicity of processed meats, but I've wondered what other people do or if they aren't worried.

Do you have access to a sauna? What a great way to detox!