#6   ^
Old Tue, Feb-03-09, 14:42

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 190/169/140 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 42%

Quote:
Originally Posted by treefeet
For people who are already susceptible to IR, giving them a medication that further decreases insulin sensitivity is not a good thing, even if it does mask the symptoms by regulating your period with synthetic hormones. Personally I don't see how the medical community could be so irresponsible.

Whenever drs prescribe meds, they need to do a risk/benefit analysis. What are the potential risks of giving this medication? What are the potential benefits? What are the risks of NOT treating?

Or course, doctors are human, with their own biases, and they may not be working with all the information. Some of the side effects may not be known right away. Doctors, in general, tend to be biased towards treatment, and may over-estimate the risks of doing nothing.

So, doctors can certainly make "the wrong choice" but it's usually made with the best of intentions. Somebody comes in with PCOS, and they have a drug that can reduce symptoms and prevent certain complications, they're going to want to "do something" to help the patient.

It makes logical sense to me that synthetic hormones can mess up your natural hormones, whether or not your hormones were in balance to begin with. If my endocrine system wasn't working properly, I'd want to treat the underlying cause (food allergy? nutritional deficiency?) and not just mask the symptoms- if such a treatment is possible. Sometimes the cause can't be found, sometimes the cause can't be fixed, and other times the healing is so slow that allopathic treatments are still beneficial in the short term.

Most MDs are unfamiliar with these underlying causes anyway. They see a hormonal imbalance, they want to treat it with synthetic hormones that mimic natural function. Even if this may cause other hormones to become unbalanced, the benefits may still outweigh the risks. I don't see that as being "irresponsible" at all- especially for such a slight decrease in insulin sensitivity that can easily be treated via diet.