#7   ^
Old Tue, Nov-25-08, 04:42

Plan: Ray Peat (not low-carb)
Stats: 00/00/00 Female 164cm
BF:
Progress: 51%

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1tahiti
Hello, this is my first ever post...I am freaked out that my Cholesterol went up from 213 to 239 on Atkins...I just my new blood tests back and was very dissapointed...background on me = male, former athlete, exercise frequently ( even before atkins) ...45 yrs old...on atkins for 9 weeks...lost 25 lbs...225 to 200 ...exercise 6 days a week 45 minutes cardio/day...

Very upset with these results as this is the only diet that has worked for me and I would prefer to alter it than quit it...
Should I cut out the Eggs and have just the whites?
Should I cut out the Cheese?
Should I cut out the Steak?

please give me some ideas, or assistance as i am ready to quit and go back to the oatmeal and high fiber diet that had me at 213 Total cholesterol...but 25 lbs heavier...
thanks

Please please please get hold of the book "The Great Cholesterol Con" by Malcolm Kendrick. That will really put your mind at rest. Or find him talking on YouTube. There's a link posted by Hutchinson somewhere.

But here's the good news in brief:
- these numbers mean very little as your cholesterol can go up or down very easily, so there is no such static thing as a "cholesterol level" which stays exactly where it is for months on end.
- high cholesterol levels are strongly associated with long life in men and women.

According to Kendrick, one of the main factors which causes heart disease is stress. It is a crying shame that you have been stressed out by these virtually meaningless numbers.

So, relax, have another steak, or make yourself a cheese omelette with the yolks in: none of these things will do you any harm!!! You're doing a great job - what you need is some better weapons against the cholesterol demonizers!!! (see above)

amanda