View Single Post
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Sep-18-08, 06:35

Plan: General healthy lifestyle
Stats: 220/174/155 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress:

Jodi, way to go with the A1c! The effects of this drug (especially when combined with a healthy lifestyle) can be dramatic.

Yeah, Metformin is wonderful stuff, I will say that for it. Since I have been taking it, my blood sugar stays pretty consistently in my target range (it stayed around 300-400 before I started the medicine and lifestyle change), and I have noticed several other benefits as well, such as an improvement in my monthly cycle.

I don't think that I can reduce the dosage, yet, though. I have tried going to 500 mg 2x a day, and my sugar jumped up into the low-to-mid 200s, despite my attempts to control it with diet and exercise. Sigh. Maybe when I lose some more weight, I will be able to reduce the medication. (My goal is to eventually get off of it entirely, though I don't know if that's possible, lol.)

One thing that I have noticed is that I have to take a B complex supplement (and an additional B12 tablet, just to be on the safe side), or I end up with a pronounced B deficiency. I have heard that Metformin causes B deficiencies, and I can definitely attest to this. Before I found about that, I wasn't taking anything more than a regular multivitamin, and I had headaches, tiredness, and some of the classic symptoms of deficiency. When I started taking the B vitamins, that disappeared. I don't know if that happens to everyone or not. But I have a lot more energy now that I've been taking more vitamins!

Metformin seems to be a complex medicine that affects a lot of the body's systems. But I guess that the benefits far outweigh the risks. I would much rather have to put up with some negative effects than have my blood sugar get so dangerously high again. I guess you just have to take the good with the bad, eh?

Mairi