View Single Post
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Jan-16-03, 22:04
Registered Member

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 235/193/128
BF:
Progress: 39%

I also remember during nursing training over 30 years ago being taught that high carbohydrate diets were a "no-no". During the 60's and 70's it was well accepted that if you wanted to lose or control weight that you needed to restrict sugar, honey, potato, rice and flour. What on earth happened? The food pyramid that's what. I grew up on a farm and we ate protein at every meal. We had egg and bacon for breakfast but didn't have toast - you just didn't have toast with bacon and egg - same for lunch - meat and salad or veggies (never much potato) - you didn't have bread with that or with the evening meal. It just wasn't necessary.

It was only after consuming a high carb diet that I gained a lot of weight and found it so difficult to lose.

Also, what is this with the Mayo Clinic recommending "slim-fast". Do they own it or something? It is full of sugar!

Good grief!

I find the argument that you need carbohydrate to feed the brain another doozy - it is incredibly difficult to cut all carb out of the diet and surely getting it from low carb fresh salad or vegies also gives you an enormous "dose" of antioxidants, vitamins etc. I can't work out why the opponents of low carb always think we only eat protein and fat!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What do others think???

Gemma