#1   ^
Old Wed, Jul-16-08, 08:52
Taking MY Turn

Plan: Intuitive Eating
Stats: 240/220.8/190 Female 65
BF:
Progress: 38%
Default This, That and PP Chat for July '08

Hi all! I realize it's well into July but since I didn't see a general thread lurking about I thought I'd start one. I've been MIA and see lots of new faces discussing PP and I think that's awesome!

I just wanted you to know that...as much as it pains me to admit this...I struggled and got off track in a big way as we headed into June. My son is now a little over 6 months old (if you can believe that) and it's been a challenge balancing him, the care of my mom, and our business that is getting busier as summer approaches. (We booked weddings for summer and fall very heavily so we could concentrate on our baby earlier in the year.)

My current approach to regaining my health is still heavily based on PPLP but not intervention level. I would call it more maintenance level with a concentration on balancing caloric intake and exercise. I have found a great combination of exercise (Zumba and Pilates) that I can fit into my routine with the help of my hubby and mom (short-term babysitting in the evening when son is asleep).

I've found that when we're stuck and we're trying the same thing and struggling with it that the best thing to do is stop, regroup, and review our options. Thankfully I was able to read something that helped me gain focus. I...rather skeptically at first...picked up Bob Greene's book "The Best Life" and it has been immensely inspiring for me. I'll grant you his approach is the LF/HC approach of most fitness experts and nutrionists. But it's easy enough to look beyond that and see the benefits of what he says. He concentrates a great deal on what most books don't - the emotional aspects of why we eat poorly and don't care for ourselves. That hit home bigtime. He also encourages being active, which I've always known was a key for me but needed a little nudge to get back there. And now that I am working out again I'm reminded not only of the weight loss and strength benefits, but of the emotional benefits of having a little time to myself (which mommies so need!) AND the stress-fighting benefits of those feel-good endorphins.

And I'm happy to report that the changes I've made are working. My clothing is fitting differently (in a good way) and I feel stronger and more able to deal with the major stressors that are simply part of my uniquely combined life of new motherhood, elderly care and entrepreneurial endeavors. I can't change much about how my life is structured or what I must do right now, but I can change how I handle it by finding balance and strength.

So that's my update in a nutshell. I'm looking forward to hearing how others are doing!
Sponsored Links