#1003   ^
Old Mon, Apr-28-08, 12:49

Plan: Semi LC
Stats: 188/175/169 Female 67.5 in.
BF:
Progress: 68%

Quote:
Originally Posted by dane

I would still encourage you to do some strength training. Take it slow, pay attention to any warning signs. It's a balancing act--keeping the knees happy while also maintaining/increasing leg strength. They're BOTH going to be vital for having an active old age.

My DH's grandmother always sticks in my mind--she refuses to do any activity, doesn't even want to walk, because it pains her. But her leg muscles are atrophying from lack of use, which in turn make her knees hurt more.
Maintaining leg strength thru gentle resistance training can actually help protect the knees.
Yes, Maam! I can second all that. I have taken many "physiology of aging" courses throughout my fitness career. The old expression, "if ya dont move it, ya lose it" is literally true. I work 3 days a week with people above the age of fifty, doing exercise classes. Some of the ladies in their 80's are still lifting weights, doing yoga and cardio in my classes. Its awesome to watch the possibilities at that age. Doing resistance training not only keeps the legs from atrophy, but also wards off the onset on of osteoporosis.
http://www.osteoporosis.ca
Keep lifting ladies, it will save us in our old age! LoL