View Single Post
  #14   ^
Old Sun, Mar-02-08, 08:30
muscle bound

Plan: Lyle's PSMF
Stats: 226/150/135 Female 5'7.5"
BF:46/20/sliced
Progress: 84%

At BLC we have several ladies in their 50's lifting and dealing with similar problems--Galatia (posts here, too) and Sona would be two posters that might be helpful to you--they have journals/gym logs there. Sona especially, as she's about the same height/weight/age as you, too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nelson
By the way, I see what you (and Macdonald) are saying about HGH having no dramatic impact on muscle building, but what about fat burning? Could smallish increases in HGH make it easier to mobilize fat stores, even if there is little or no increase in muscle bulk?
From what I understand about HGH, yes, it can promote fat loss, but you have to take greater amounts than what you're producing naturally. Here's an article that may be helpful-
http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fo...ead.php?t=13034
Quote:
I have read a lot about how insulin stores fat and suppresses fat-burning, but low insulin alone doesn't promote fat burning. And neither does exercise, it seems! So what does?
Well, being in a negative energy balance will promote fat burning. In between meals, you'll be in fat-burning mode, to supply your body with energy. If your overall caloric intake is in a deficit, you'll burn excess body fat.

The trick is establishing the deficit, and this is where hormones can screw you up. Certain processes (like menopause) can lower the level of energy you need to maintain, making you have to either cut cals or move more to establish that deficit.

That said, I believe that there is some research that high intensity exercise (like HIIT) can induce pulses of HGH, but if you're eating more calories than you need on average, this isn't going to make any difference for you.

Lyle's site is a good one to do searches for info. Just be sure when you are inputting your search info, you check the little box that says "show results as posts", rather than threads, or you'll end up with lots of gym logs to wade through.