Plan: GI
Stats: 409/369/135 Female 5 ft 3 in.
BF:
Progress: 15%
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by lfchanin
Hi,

I agree with the thrust of Cajunboy's response regarding improved metabolism, and disagree with nonegiven if he is referring to someone who is overweight. However, I'd like to add just one qualifier to Cajunboy's response. Carb tolerance can improve with larger body size if the increase in body weight is due to an increase in lean body mass, not an increase in adipose tissue. In other words, if a person gains total body weight while maintaining or reducing Body Fat percentage, this can improve glucose control and carb tolerance.

I realize that most folks here are trying to lose weight. However, for thin diabetics gaining weight while maintaining or lowering Body Fat percentage can be a good strategy as long as the increase in net caloric intake is just slightly above maintenance level.

I should also point out that ideally it should also be the goal of overweight folks, especially diabetics, to increase their lean body weight while decreasing Body Fat percentage, even if their primary goal is to "lose weight".

Larry

Thanks for clearing that up. I had been wondering if developing my muscles would help me in my goal to improve my blood sugar level. I am sure my muscle to fat ratio is pretty poor.