View Single Post
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Nov-27-02, 11:35
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

Sugar balances the flavour of the salt and I don't think it's necassary for the actual tenderizing process. I frequently put a dry salt and herb cure on meats like chicken, duck and pork and the flavour is just fine.

Here's a link on how brining works. So, the process does allow sugar to enter the cells. How much enters? Your guess is as good as mine.

In the grand scheme of things, one brined turkey does not blow a whole low-carb WOL. So from the pure enjoyment point of view, do it and enjoy it.

I'm including my own recipe for brined turkey.

Ninety Minute Miracle Turkey
Serves 10-12

1 15 lb. turkey
2 cups kosher salt or 1 cup table salt
1/4 cup Sugar Twin
1/4 cup Splenda
24 cups water
2 Tbsp. unsalted butter, melted

Dissolve the salt and sweeteners in the water. Split the turkey down the backbone and flatten out - you can ask your butcher to do this for you. Submerge in the brine and refrigerate for 8 hours. Remove from the brine, pat dry and refrigerate uncovered for 8-12 hours.

Preheat oven to 450°F. Place the turkey on a large baking sheet or roasting pan and brush with the butter. Place on a rack in the lower third of the oven. Roast for 80 – 100 minutes until the thickest part of the thigh registers 175°F and the thickest part of the breast 165°F. Rotate the pan from front to back after 40 minutes.

Let the turkey rest for 20 minutes before carving.

Karen