Old Mon, Mar-19-07, 19:55
One Bite At A Time

Plan: South Beach Phase II
Stats: 232/183/130 Female 62 inches
BF:67/34?/20
Progress: 48%
Default q

Hi Patty,
I'm glad that you're making plans on being a non-smoker. It feels so much better, you'll NEVER regret kicking the habit.

Quote:
ou have a good point their about quitting cold turkey. It makes a lot of sense. Why prolong the inevitable withdrawals by spending a ton of money on OTC techniques?

Using NRT *nicotine replacement therapies has a higher success rate than cold turkey. The reason is that you can work on the psychological triggers without having the intensity of the craving with the physical nicotine withdrawl. A trigger is anything that you typically do while smoking. Because they are now connected in your mind, that event (trigger) is now a strong signal to your body that it needs a dose of nicotine. You will have cravings even when you're on the NRT when you get triggered. The psychological aspect of nicotine addiction is very powerful.
NRT lets you consicously address the psychological aspects first, then you taper down the nicotine dose as the cravings become less intense.

I've quit dozens of times, sometimes cold turkey, sometimes NRT but always relapsed after a day or two until this time. This time I did a lot of research at the National Cancer Institute and the American Lung Association websites. Had a plan and took it one day at a time, using NRT and techniques like deep breathing, taping index cards of why I want to quit smoking all over the house and a few other things to keep remembering why I wanted to quit smoking ever present.
It's like the mind says, oh just one cigarette is fine. But, it's not, there's no such thing as one cigarette. I failed too many times believing that lie. This time is for good.

Good luck Patty