Registered Member

Plan: My own
Stats: 194/000/150 Female 5'5"
BF:Not sure
Progress: 441%

Quote:
Originally Posted by moodflow
Hi All,

Its been a while since I last posted, as I've been following the LC way of life. I'm 34 years old and pretty much in excellent shape (except for bloodwork).

Hi Jeff,
I'm sorry to ask but is your current weight 204 or at your goal weigh :185? Consider you are 5'9" your highest weight should be around at 175. If your profile is outdated, then it is not a problem, but if it is correct, you are are still carry almost 30 extra pounds, and this alone can impact your CHO. I also don't know what is your body composition, but if you carry your weight around the middle, then you may have metabolic syndrome and/ or some degress of IR. If you are lean and muscular, and a heavy lifter, then it is something else. Your triglycerides are nothing to worry about, and they warry from one test to another, under 150 is totally fine, but HDL is on a low side, while LDL - is on a high side.

Quote:
Lots of meats, cheese, fish, salads/veggies, nuts, fiber, and low/no carbs, except when I exercise hard.

I would drop fatty meat and dairy, and eat more lean meat and oily fish, avocado, almonds, EVOO, etc. Try to replace sat. fat with monounsaturated, since you are not following very strict (induction type) lc diet, but rather carb controlled. It always works for me and DH, replacing cheese with avocado and butter with EVOO, helps to boost HDL and lower LDL. I imagine you had your blood sugar tested, and don't have any problems in this department. Also, get your thyroid checked, to make sure you don't have hypothyrodism, it may spike your cholesterol high.
There is also CholestOff, plant sterols and stanols based supplement, sold in Costco. It lowered LDL without lowering HDL, DH takes it when his LDL goes up (he can't live without full fat dairy) and it can drop 30-40 points easily. Unsweetened soy milk (1-2 cups daily) helps to lower LDL.

Quote:
Anyway, my latest cholesterol profile came back really high, and my doctor is now freaking out.

Your dr is freaking out because HDL/CHO ratio is 6.7, and >5 is consider high risk for heart desease, so he is a responsible dr after all.
Quote:
This is after going even more LC. Now I am left with the question: "what the heck happened!!?" I was expecting LDL to be in the 160 range and HDL to be in the 70s atleast.

Not everyone on this forum and in real life gets famous favorable CHO profile following atkins and other very low carb/high fat diet: high HDL and low LDL. My ldl goes up too (still <130) if I eat little carbs and lots of sat. fat from dairy but my HDL goes up proportionally. Some ppl have different metabolic make-up, and simply proned to high LDL and low HDL without having heart desease.
Quote:
Anyway, I refuse to take statins at this point. So I am now going to go have a heart scan done (at my expense) to see if there is any calcification in there. What I do from there on out depends on the degree of calcification.

Good luck with your test, hope nothing to worry about, so you can put your mind to ease.
Regards,
D.