View Single Post
  #90   ^
Old Mon, Feb-12-07, 18:10
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins,PP - wgt in %
Stats: 100/96.8/69 Female 5'6.5"
BF:DWTK/DDare/JEnuf
Progress: 10%

So I found me a pan (I have LOTS of kitchenalia!), an old one that had shallow wells in it that looked right for aebleskivir/poffertjes, though it wasn't cast iron. I decided to give the no-DEEP-frying thing a go, with this pan and with this recipe with only a tweak or two.

A couple of drops of oil, maybe just under a 1/4 tsp, in each "cup", preheated the oven, mixed up a double batch of this batter (which filled each cup about 3/4 full) and off I went. BTW, I really don't know how much less oil that works out to in the end, compared to deep frying, or even if it IS less...the only way to check that is to measure the oil precisely before deepfrying and then again after, and note the difference. Sigh. Too much for me to even think about.

Here are the results:

Anyways, they worked out rather better tasting than they look; they did puff up, but most of them fell when I took it out. I didn't have to turn them over (probably the high fat content encourages browning, as does protein). I've tried them both ways, Danish style aebleskivir with a bit of low carb jam in the little hollow -- raspberry, VERY nice -- and Dutch style with a sprinkle of "sugar" and cinnamon, also VERY edible. These are my breakfast for the next little while...so 6 breakfasts or desserts out of this recipe, doubled. Not bad!

Two things I'd do differently: I'd turn down the temp from 400F to about 375F, and I reduced the added sweetener just a bit to 1/2 Tbsp (I had added some liquid SugarTwin, 1 Tbsp, to the base recipe in addition to the sweetener already listed). These took about 10M at 400F; they make take a little longer at 375F but still need to be watched.