View Single Post
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Jul-09-06, 12:54

Plan: Atkins - Maintenance
Stats: 185/150/150 Male 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 100%

I can only assume what the respective authors meant by stipulating that carbs are unecessary, but yet veggies are is only because of the nutrients found in the latter.

However, what if we can acquire all of our nutrients from non-veggies sources, are they necessary? The answer would be no, unless we make an argument that plant foods inherent defenses (phytochemicals) are necessary or essential for our overall health.

Every book has to be written to appeal to the lowest common demoninator. In this case, if you were an author and however correct and well researched your thesis might be, it will all be discarded if you make certain claims which goes against prevailing dogmatic wisdom of the day.

Could anyone ever sell a book which even hinted at let alone assert with conviction that veggies are not necessary? Let's not even get into implying that they're "toxic," which cracks me up for different reasons entirely. LOL It's the same with diet books. Can you sell one by telling people they MUST excercise and eat a little less? Of course not, who'd pay for advice like that?

I think the veggie being healthy thing is so ingrained in our collective thoughts universally accepted, that it'll get a free pass on whatever arguments anyone may have against it.

Do I think veggies are healthy? Yes, I do. Do I think they're necessary? I'll bet all the tea in China that they are not.