View Single Post
  #1   ^
Old Sun, Jul-09-06, 10:23

Plan: Carnivore
Stats: 212/179/160 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 63%
Default Strange Question from a Veteran of PP

You all know me, or else I think you do. I've been around for a long time. Some of you even look to me for all the answers because you think I'm so wise, or some stupid thing like that!

Anyway, I've been doing a lot of reading lately about different eating plans and how they go along with how we evolved. It got me thinking.

Let me digress a moment to say that I've read the original Protein Power and the Protein Power Lifeplan more times than I can say. I've actually had to purchase new copies of each, since the pages are so dog-eared and the bindings break from over-use.

So, I'm having difficulty assimilating certain things that the Eades (and many others) are saying.

For example, the Eades say that carbohydrates are totally unnecessary. Here's the exact quotation, taken from PPLP, page 9 of the hardcover edition:
"Carbohydrates, the third macronutrient, are totally unessential to human health."
Here's another one, taken from PP, page 113 of the hardcover edition:
"How much fiber do you need? For good health people usually need at least 25 grams a day. In the past, restricted-carbyhydrate diets have been criticized for not providing enough fiber. Is this a valid concern? Yes, but not with our plan, which provides ample fiber."
So, if we believe the first statement (and I do), why would we need at least 25 grams of carbs a day?

Also, if the first statement is true, why is the goal of the maintenance plan described by the Eades in PP (page 184):
"You will accomplish this [transition to maintenance] by gradually increasing your per-meal carbohydrate level until you reach a daily total carboydrate gram intake roughly equal to to slightly more than your daily protein intake."
So, first they state that carbs are absolutely unnecessary for human health, then they say that you need 25 grams of fiber for health, and then they say when all is said and done, you'll be eating as much as or more carbs (in grams) than protein.

Am I the only one confused about this?

I know some people will say that the veggies have tons of vitamins in them. But if carbs are totally unnecessary for health, then surely we would be getting those vitamins naturally from the meat and fat we consume.

I ask because I've recently stopped eating virtually all vegetables, and all salads. I feel much better. Whenever I ate veggies, they gave me constiptation. So, I would eat more. The only way NOT to have constipation was to eat tons of veggies (and then who has room for the protein and fat?), PLUS take fiber supplements daily. How can this be "normal" and healthy?

Since shunning veggies from my plate, I have no more problems with constipation. None. Shouldn't that say something?

Just curious about what others think about these disparities. I'm not criticizing anyone's way of eating. I'm just curious about all this.

Sponsored Links