#97   ^
Old Sat, Oct-26-02, 15:12

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Quote:
Originally posted by Fietser
I was startled by the lack of good and fresh vegetables and fruit, which are also very expensive in the USA.

I guess it depends on where you shop, what's in season and what you are looking for. I never have trouble finding good quality fresh fruits and veggies that are in season for a reasonable price. If I want to buy a fruit or vegetable that isn't in season, of course I'm going to pay more for it as they usually have to be shipped in from Chile or Mexico when things are out of season here. For example...I live in Michigan and wouldn't even think of trying to buy oranges in the summertime...wrong season for them; they would be a dollar a piece and probably not very tasty, but in the winter months, I can get a 5 pound bag of juicy, tasty Florida oranges for about 2 dollars. On the other hand, in the summer I can get canteloupe for about a dollar a piece, but in the winter months they would be at least triple that. If you're buying what's in season, the prices, quality and availability are quite good...at least where I live.
Expensive is a relative term. I won't argue that it costs more to eat meat and fresh fruits and veggies than macaroni and cheese and spahgetti, but then again, how much is your health worth?