Old Fri, Mar-03-06, 07:38
Jen B

Plan:
Stats: //
BF:
Progress:

Something I found on preparing almonds:

Quote:
Almonds should be soaked to improve their digestibility and nutrition profile. Soaking also removes harmful tannic acid and enzyme inhibitors. Soak in cool water and if possible drain the soaked water after 20-40 minutes. Add fresh water and continue the soaking for another 8-12 hours.

Being that the almond skin is potentially irritating to the lining of the stomach and intestines the almonds should be blanched (following the soaking). To blanch almonds:
1. Place the soaked almonds in a saucepan of boiling water.
2. Time seven (7) seconds.
3. Immediately remove from heat.
4. Drain and cover almonds with cold water to cool.
5. Press each almond between thumb and forefinger to slip off skin.
Dry almonds on paper towels.

To Further protect the almonds from the effect of rancidity and enhance digestion, lightly toast the almonds in an oven.
Here's how you toast almonds:
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
2. In a low sided pan, evenly spread nuts.
3. Bake, stirring occasionally, for 5 to 10 minutes or until lightly browned.
4. Oven toasted nuts are done when you can smell them.
5. All nuts should be cooled on paper towels.

When I made my almond milk, I soaked them for 12 hours, but didn't skin or toast them. I have a 42-oz. yogurt maker, so I used 2 cups of almonds, which I pulverized in batches with a little water in a food processor, then added more water to make 42 ounces. It was too many almonds! I could have used 1-1/2 cups or less. I had to strain out a lot of solids, a great deal of which was almond skins. I put the solids in the frig because I think I can make yet more almond milk with it. Next time I'll skin the almonds first.

The end result was very creamy and looked good. I added 6 oz of good commercial yogurt as a starter, and 1 T. of maple syrup. I will post how it comes out.