#7   ^
Old Sat, Feb-18-06, 16:44

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 228/195/188 Male 72 inches
BF:
Progress: 83%
Default Whoa, please

Quote:
They gave the best monkey diet a monkey could have, supplied with extra nutrients to make sure they werent deficient and were not given any foods that would damage their health, like Hi Glycemic foods.

Can you provide the link, I can't find it. I'd like some details about their diet. There's plenty of stuff published by Barbara Hansen about monkeys but I can't find this one.

Here's my concern, from the article:

Quote:
Cutting calories can pay off when it comes to longevity: Monkeys fed 30 percent less over the long term extended their lifetimes to 30 years from an average of 23 years, Hansen said.

The slimmer monkeys staved off the diabetes, high cholesterol, hypertension and other weight-related ailments that typically shortened the lives of their heavier peers, she added.

I think there's lots of evidence now that DM, cholesterol and hypertension are carb-related ailments. I'd like to know what they really ate. My suspicion is that they were given Purina-brand rhesus monkey food, made from corn meal, like their dogfood, hamsterfood, fishfood etc., along with some bananas and mangos.

Whoa, do you think free-living rhesus monkeys ever develop diabetes, bad cholesterol or hypertension?

Our pets develop human chronic diseases, and I wouldn't be surprised that zoo animals do too.

These monkeys may not live 7 years longer than their heavier peers, they may live 7 years longer than their insulin-resistant peers, who's life is 7 years shorter due to carb-induced chronic diseases.

You state:

Quote:
if you keep that up then 70 years of research suggests it doesn't matter whether you turn out to be fat or not, you will die sooner than someone eating 2000 calories or less

as if this is a fact. This may be something you really really want to believe, but in humans, there is NO evidence that eating low calorie beats eating low carb. Get over it.