View Single Post
  #44   ^
Old Sat, Aug-20-05, 15:51

Plan: low cal, low carb
Stats: 196/145/140 Female 5'6.5
BF:23%
Progress: 91%

Great results Nancy...even though I weigh less than you my waist is larger..I carry a lot of fat through the middle and thighs.
I measured before I started the diet (in cm) and I am down 11.5cm (about 4 inches or so?) in the waist since doing this. So I agree with you, this has to be mostly fat and not totally reflected in scale weight.

Cindy you are doing great too. Don't forget that your metabolism will eventually not be so willing to let go and you will then need to do some adjustments a la various methods of up-regulating, then restart the diet at slightly lower calories.

Reading Lyle's books, it is obvious that most of us have never taken a truly scientific interest in what is needed to be done to keep fat off once its gone and we just relax and allow pounds to gradually creep back. It is clear to me now that the vigilance we now show plus the dedication has to be what is maintained.
One thing I am learning from all the body builders is that their obsession with muscle growth has this effect- they remain vigilant and seem to not allow more than a few pounds of real fat to accumulate before they are back at it. I think that I never got on the scales for months at a time, and as mine were in kilos, the creep doesn't seem as large, when in fact that creep represents 2.2 lbs at a time!

One problem is that watching the hugely reinforcing drop on the scales maintains the dieting behavior. But when that stops and we maintain at goal without that positive and exciting reinforcement the vigilance must remain. So I guess the daily weighing in must remain in place, and one must continue to track.

Val