View Single Post
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Jul-17-02, 14:27

Plan: Protein Power LP Dilletan
Stats: 164/145/138 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 73%

Hello Wa'il, I knew if only one person read this article, it would be you.

I think you missed something though. That section on total fat intake being low was in pre-man. He is talking basically about a pre-man vegetarian ape pre-human primate called a hominoid as opposed to a hominid. As you can see from the next section where hominids (earliest forms of man--our earliest ancestors after the branch from apes) starting he says with Australopithecines (like Lucy) ate lots of fat and meat. That's his point! Hurray!

Quote:
An increasing proportion of meat in the diet would obviously have provided more animal protein , a factor perhaps related to the stature increase which appears to have accompanied the transition from Australopithecines through Homo habilis to H. erectus, (McHenry, 1992) but greater availability of animal fat was probably a more important dietary alteration. Even crude Oldowan stone tools would have allowed early humans access to brain and marrow from a broad range of animals obtained by scavenging or hunting - including some species larger than those from which chimpanzee hunters preferentially extract brain tissue and marrow fat. These and other carcass fats were probably prized by the early hominids as they are by recently-observed modern human hunter-gatherers. (Steffanson, 1960) More animal fat in the diet meant not only additional energy, but also a source of ready-formed long chain PUFAs, including AA, DTA(docosatetraenoic acid (DTA, C22:4, w-3), and DHA. These three fatty acids together make up over 90% of the long chain PUFA (i.e. the structurally significant and biochemically active fat) found in the brain gray matter of all mammalian species. (Sinclair, 1975)