View Single Post
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Jul-11-02, 12:33

Plan: mostly paleo
Stats: //
BF:also don't care
Progress: 100%

I wanted to jump in and welcome you. You have great questions, but I'll leave most of them to lisaf (our real TSP pro, here!) to answer.

On getting tired of food--I did on LCing at about month 3-4 or so. I made a commitment to:

A) try a new veggie every week

B) try a new recipe every week

and that did the trick. I also discovered some new favorite chicken recipes that way!

If you're going to use a lot of butter, because of your hormone concerns, you might make that the one organic food you splurge on. (around here, it's about $4.50 per pound, or about 150% of regular butter price). However, personally I think if you're only going to buy one organic food, it should be eggs--the free range ones taste better, have better Omega 3:6 fatty acid ratios, and extra vitamins and minerals, too (and that's according to the USDA, hardly your biggest organic farming proponent!). the free-range eggs are also only about 150% the cost of regular eggs.

I did some research on hormone levels in mass-ranced meat, and they were miniscule. Still, I eat only free-range grass fed, locally ranched beef. I bought 1/2 a cow from an organic farmer last fall when they slaughtered, have it in the freezer, and it wasn't too awfully priced that way. I think they charged me $1.89 hanging weight (included butchering), so maybe twice that price per actual edible pound of meat. And my dog got plenty of organic bones, too!

Enjoy your journey and keep up that reading!