View Single Post
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Jun-02-02, 18:47

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

I tried to find the article you mentioned on oxygen but couldn't locate it. I think the author of this article first is assuming that you are eating "plenty of carbohydrates" as they put it. In that case, yes, excess protein would be eventually converted to fat because there would also be an excess of insulin in the bloodstream to assist in that process and the body would have plenty of glucose to use as an energy souce from the carbs and therefore not need the protein for energy. As far as the excess protein being bad for your kidneys because the body has to break the excess down...ummm...unless I'm terribly mistaken, the body has to break down the protein anyway during digestion so that the nutrients can be absorbed into the bloodstream whether there is an excess of it or not (it's called normal digestion). Also...did the author of the article quote specific studies and sources to back up their opinions? If not, all you have is their opinion, not scientific fact. Dr. Atkins has publically challenged anyone to produce a case of kidney disease that could directly be attributed to low carbing in a person with formerly healthy kidneys and so far noone has come forward to produce such a case. My guess would be because there aren't any cases to produce. Relax, slim...you're not going to get fat eating protein and low carb.