View Single Post
  #4   ^
Old Thu, May-16-02, 15:46

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Crafty...If I remember correctly, it was about 3 months after I started low carbing and I had already dropped to about 215 lbs. My blood sugars started dropping a little too low on the full dose of Glucophage while I was on vacation, so I started taking a half dose and my blood sugars stayed good. I told my doctor about it as soon as we got back and he was fine with it as long as my blood sugars stayed in the normal range. I think by the time I got down to around 200 lbs, I was able to maintain my blood sugars without it as long as I didn't eat anything high in carbs. Of course, everyone is different, so your experience may not be the same as mine but I think that following this WOE is the surest way that you will be able to eventually get off the medications if that is possible for you. Some people continue to need their medications, although at a much lower dose than before. Work closely with your doctor in this and don't quit taking your meds without consulting him (or her) first. I made a decision because I was on vacation and getting to a phone would have been difficult, but I was also checking my blood sugars 5 times a day at that point, so I would have known immediatly if cutting my meds had a negative effect. Good luck to you!