View Single Post
  #41   ^
Old Sun, Apr-28-02, 09:16

Plan: Atkins Maintenance
Stats: //2002
BF:and feeling great
Progress: 99%
Default Sat Apr 27 13th session

Several things are clicking into place. Mario has so much the lighter mouth, that I'm able to organize myself and stay organized longer. This will help when I ride Marlow. This session was a major physical workout, I'm sure that last posting trot lasted 20 minutes.

This session was all about getting the horse to go rounder. Chris pointed out (and how often I have seen this!!) that many riders are happy if their horse has a round neck and through draw reins and side reins they are able to 'train' the horse how to 'carry' his head in an attractive fashion. But the horse's head doesn't match the rest of his body which would be flat or caved in.

The neck and the spine are all connected and one unit on a horse. Theoretically the horse can't properly 'round' just his neck or just his body, it has to be both. And, when the horse must deliver increased impulsion (more power) without increasing speed (forward impulsion) then he must go UP - that is, the number of steps he makes to cover the same distance must INCREASE. He can't do it unless his tail bone is tucked under so that he can reach farther and higher with his hind legs. And he can't go round, unless the rider allows him to.

I found that with Mario, that although after a spell he would accept a stronger rein, a lighter hand would result in a rounder horse. Occasionally the horse's organization would fall apart on me and I would have to begin again to get him (and me) organized. I have to figure out what it is I'm doing to cause that - and it may be my hands. I am really looking forward to next session to work more on this.

Chris instructed me to buy a dressage whip.