View Single Post
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Apr-26-02, 15:11

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 148/146/132 Female 5'61/2"
BF:
Progress: 18%
Smile Hi Susann

I can only agree with Karen. And here's why. I have the same problem, although for me it's worse, because my children are grown up and I start my nightly 'ritual' with a couple of drinks while I'm making supper. THEN I move on to the wine.

I've been wrestling with it for years. Alcohol was part of the family culture I grew up in, although it never seemed to be a problem. And so far it hasn't been for me. I work out, walk my dog and work full time. Giving up something that, on the face fo it, doesn't seem to be doing any harm -- in fact seems to be a GOOD thing -- is very difficult. But I feel as if something's wrong, so that's probably a good indicator that something is.

I can recommend a very good book called "The Thinking Person's Guide to Sobriety" by Bert Pluyman (I'm not sure about the spelling of his last name). It's funny and written with a great deal of grace and intelligence. I know you're thinking: "I'm not an alcoholic! What's she on about??" I don't consider myself an alcoholic either, but I sure don't seem to be able to give up my 'habit'.

See if you can find that book. And don't be afraid to consider the possibility that you might be hooked on the stuff. Alcohol crosses all lines.

I'm currently attending an all-ladies AA group. I feel VERY out of place, but they're all kind and funny and not pushy at all. I haven't stopped drinking yet and I'm not sure how or if I will, but I figure I owe it to myself at least to understand what I'm dealing with and to make an intelligent choice.

Oh, and I've lost 12 pounds since January, so while it might slow the loss down, it doesn't seem to have stopped it -- at least for me.

e-mail me if you want to talk.

Take care,

Joanna