View Single Post
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Apr-09-02, 08:54
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

This was macrobiotics 25 years ago. I’m sure it has changed by then.

Macrobiotic means “great life”. I can’t remember exactly how the movement started, buts it based upon the principles of yin and yang. The two principles were George Oshawa and Michio Kushi. There are yin foods and yang foods. Yin are to be avoided because they cause disease. Yang foods are seasonal and those that grow close to or under the ground. The balance point of the whole diet is short grain, organic brown rice and this makes up a large percentage of any meal. Seasonal fruits are eaten sparingly. A bit of fish is OK, but not meat unless you live in the far north. Dairy products are avoided.

I remember that one of the things you could do as a "cleanse" was eat a handful of raw brown rice in small mouthfuls. An interesting experience.

It’s a super agrarian diet, not suitable for paleo-people at all!

It’s a whole philosophy that encompasses physical environment, right down to the spoon you stir your food with while it’s cooking. A lot of the enviromental philosophy is dead on.

Ha! I just went to the Kushi institute web site and not much has changed in 25 years. Here’s the link to an explanation of macrobiotics. The Kushi Institute

And you’re right. It is William DufTy. My apologies.

Karen