#13   ^
Old Sat, Feb-05-05, 02:21

Plan: atkins
Stats: 187/171/130 Female 173 cm
BF:
Progress:
Default Yes, I lost weight with Hashimotos

Hi,
Yes I have lost a lot of weight with hashimotos by doing Atkins (22 pounds) in the past. Unfortunately I reverted to my old high carb ways following a very stressful period at work and the break down of a relationship.
I'm sad to say that not only did I put all the weight back on, but another 22 pounds on top! I was so embarrassed and annoyed with myself!!

Has anyone else had a similar experience? I am really keen to hear from anyone that has managed to get weight off with Hashi's and actually keep it off???

I am 29 years old and I have had Hashi's for at least four years that I know of (when it was first diagnosed) but possibly had the disease for two years before that. My medication is now at the right level, but since the age of 25 have developed a weight problem.
Prior to being treated for hashi's, I was a very fit, very thin person, weighing about 130 pounds. I was also a keen runner.
I have kept up the running, and my cardio fitness is still reasonable, but even if I ran 5kms per day, I would not lose weight unless I eat the right food.
I am now back on a low carb, sensible eating plan and I am pleased to say that since mid January I have once again lost about 11 pounds.
The first week of cleansing your system means you feel a bit grotty and headachey, but after that it is smooth sailing.
This time around I have been using other tools to help with motivation and because I am mindful of repeating my yo yo diet experience.
I use ketostix to check that I am burning fat (see atkins)
I use a hypnosis/meditation CD (Glenn Harold called Lose Weight Now I think) which I listen to before falling asleep.
I have also been consulting a chinese herbalist to fine tune my digestive system and get rid of inflammation (probably caused by stress).
Also, I now realise that exercise for me is non-negotiable and that putting in a hour a day is just something that I am going to have to do every day for the rest of my life.
So, I've decided that it will have to be part of my routine like eating dinner, or showering.
Being a tv addict, I've hired a treadmill and I now 'walk' during the news or my favourite tv show. A walking treadmill is pretty inexpensive and doesn't take up that much space in your home. I am also a 'stress and boredom' eater from way back and I tend to indulge in the evenings, so that is when I use the treadmill.
Hopefully this time I will get the weight off and keep it off ...
Can anyone help with stories or experiences that will provide additional motivation.