View Single Post
  #43   ^
Old Fri, Jan-14-05, 19:34

Plan: Atkins since sept 22/02
Stats: 205/165/150 Female 5'8
BF:32/28/22
Progress: 73%
Talking cortisol

Hi Timothy, you are so lucky to have found that Doctor. She is right on the money. I just read your story today but this is from an old book I read a few years ago.

Cortisol is a catabolic hormone, that stimulates the breakdown of body
tissues. It is released by the adrenal glands when we are under stress. When the body recognizes stress ( ie car won't start, late for work, baby etc.)
it releases a lot of adrenaline and cortisol (flight or fight response)

Cortisol steals nitrogen from the structural protein in our muscles and converts the protein to sugar for energy and naintenance of blod sugar levels in the brain. Cortisol eats the mucsle that we use to burn fat.

Excess stress equals excess corisol, which equals fat gain.

After stress your brain continues to send out feed me signals to refuel the reserves that have been emptied.

Obviously this is a pared down, short version of the section of the book but it also has good info about the best times to eat when working out. I enjoyed it and recomended to a lot of people along with Dr. S. who I love. She is so great to read and I love her detailed explainations of the science behind her books. Good luck and let us know how things are going.

Oops. the book is called " Fat Wars" 2002 revised edition By Brad King
(Brad is a local Canadian boy)