Plan: Animal-based/IF
Stats: 252/215.6/130 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 30%

Found this on:

Health Sciences Institute e-Alert newsletter

December 09, 2004

Dear Reader,

Trying to lose weight? According to a new study, there's a simple way to improve your chances that your diet will be successful. You don't have to purchase anything, and you don't have to take any prescriptions or exotic supplements. And add this to the bargain: you might also reduce your risk of a disability later in life.

Sound too good to be true? Well it is. Because in order to get this weight-loss benefit you'll be required to do something far more difficult than shell out a few dollars: You'll have to discipline yourself to get more sleep.

Sweet dreams

Except for my nephew who is four years old, I don't believe I know anyone who's getting enough sleep. I don't. My husband doesn't. My friends, family, colleagues ~ none of them seem to get enough sleep on a regular basis. Most of us
are too rushed and too busy (especially at this time of year) to make sure we get seven to eight hours per night, which is considered ideal for most people.

By some estimates, Americans average about six hours per night. That may be enough for some. But if you want to help make your diet work, you'll probably need more than that, according to a study from Columbia University, presented at
the annual scientific meeting of the North American Association for the Study of Obesity (NAASO).

Researchers used almost 10 years of data collected on nearly 18,000 subjects who took part in the National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey (NHANES); a study that
gathered information on general dietary and health habits. After accounting for other factors that contribute to obesity, the Columbia team reported these estimates:

* Less than four hours of sleep per night increases obesity risk by 73 percent, compared to subjects who slept seven to nine hours each night
* An average of five hours of sleep per night increases obesity risk by 50 percent
* An average of six hours of sleep per night increases obesity risk by 23 percent

The researchers believe that body chemistry might explain the link between sleep deprivation and obesity. A lack of sleep increases grehlin, a hormone that sends a hunger signal to the brain. At the same time, the level of a protein called
leptin drops. Leptin helps suppress appetite, so when the level is low, appetite increases. Combine too much grehlin and too little leptin, and you've set the stage for an intake of too many calories.