#14   ^
Old Mon, Nov-29-04, 16:07

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Quote:
Originally Posted by upback
True as far as for us, so what does a person do to have a lower reading in the morning, get up during the night and have a snack? I am serious, the morning reading is always high and doesn't come down till after breakfast. Is it possible to get that am reading lower? (type 2)

Upback, that depends on why you are having higher morning readings. If it's a rebound hyperglycemia due to the Somogyi effect (hypo during the night causing gluconeogenesis to compensate), a small snack at bedtime or during the night might help or less medication at bedtime (your doctor can help you with that one, if needed).
If it's due to the Dawn Phenomenon where a combination of hormones (Cortisol, Adrenaline, Glucagon and HGH) paired with the liver clearing circulating insulin are causing the morning increase, there isn't any therapy currently that is consistenly effective other than perhaps Glucophage (Metformin). From my own experience, it did settle down once I had been low carbing for a while and now my morning readings are better; not necessarily my lowest of the day but usually below 90 which is fine with me.
Here is a link that discusses the difference between Dawn Phenomenon and Somogyi effect as well as some strategies for dealing with either: http://www.diabetic-talk.org/dp.htm