#2   ^
Old Wed, Jan-30-02, 02:39
Forum Founder

Plan: LC, GF
Stats: 241/185/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 55%
Lightbulb

I thought this sounded familiar. This "study", along with several others published by the JACN was part of my debunk post in the Dangers of Soy thread. This journal published a study about tofu and brain shrinkage. Here's what I thought back then about the JACN:
Quote:
The Journal of the American College of Nutrition is very interesting. Some good and useful articles there, but this organization is geared to proviidng educational information about nutrition to health professions, and non-professional nutrition consultants. I searched the site, and discovered on the links page that their corporate sponsors include The National Dairy Council .. which would explain the plethora of articles about calcium, and the importance of consuming dairy products to get it .... and the Alliance for Better Foods, which is an organization devoted to Biotechnology and genetic modification of food.

The journal itself has only been published since February 2000, although the organization has been in existence since 1959. Here are some other interesting studies that have been published in this Journal
  • Feb 2000 article "proving" that a diet rich in grains, nuts, vegetables and fruits had more favourable effect on blood lipids than a diet high in saturated fat.
  • June 2000 supplement is devoted entirely to the glory of grains, and their role in disease prevention.
  • Oct 2000 (this is the same article posted above)
The journal title is confusing, because it could easily be mistaken for the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition (AJCN) which IS a respected, science-based and peer-reviewed journal.

Doreen