View Single Post
  #87   ^
Old Thu, Sep-30-04, 07:26

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 155/108/110 Female 64 inches
BF:33%/25%/22%
Progress: 104%

Well, Luvley, it depends...what are your parameters for this plan? I mean, are you trying to do Induction (to get into ketosis to begin weight loss), or OWL (slower weight loss), or pre-maintenance? or even maintenance? You need to decide how many carbs you plan to eat in a day, and try to aim for that number. It is not a matter of "the fewer carbs the better." On Induction, the goal is 20 carbs. For OWl, you increase your carbs by 5g/d a week at a time, adding certain food groups in order (see DANDR)--it's called the "carbohydrate ladder," until you reach a point where your weight stays stable, and then you back off 5 g/d. People have very different carb levels they can tolerate and still lose; men tolerate more in general, and exercise hikes it up a lot. Some folks skip Induction and just reduce their carbs--they pick a number that might work for them and go from there--if they don't lose weight after a couple of weeks, they lower the carb level...it would be good if you told us what your plan is.

Broccoli is fine on induction, but limited to one cup (if you have not had more than 2 cups of lettuce during the day).

Jell-O is not a good meal. It is more of a snack. Try to get into the habit of three meals--even if they are small--I know that you are adjusting from the "food is bad, calories are bad, the less I eat the better" mentality--we all had to do that too!

How about a hard-boiled egg or two for dinner? Or if you are sick of eggs, maybe some cold cuts (not prepackaged, they are filled with starches and badness--from the deli counter)--a roll-up of roast beef and lettuce, for example. Or you can roll up RB and cheese--Induction specifies hard cheeses like swiss or cheddar. Or you can have a small piece of meat (steak, chicken) or fish.

Embrace the fat! in your food. It is your friend on a low-carb diet. Also, try to eat your carbs. It can be hard--but how about a salad for dinner? With strips of RB and cheese and bacon bits, mushrooms and tomato? You can put regular dressing on it--NO "lowfat" dressings, they are full of carbs to replace the fat--try carboptions dressing or I use Hidden Valley Original Ranch--it is has one carb and I find that 2 tbs is too much!

A nice meaty salad is a good way to get your carbs in. And it is not so heavy at dinnertime that you feel "weighed down."

Lucy