View Single Post
  #11   ^
Old Fri, Sep-17-04, 07:34
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 250/237/150 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 13%

i have been quite pleased with the taste of low carb alternatives on the market. the atkins muffins are quite tasty (especially with a little butter or cream cheese), and not overly pricey (i did the math, it works out to about a dollar a muffin - less than i would pay for a muffin or bagel at starbucks or tim hortons). the low carb chocolate alternatives (the bars, peanut butter cupps and such) while not exactly like the sugary originals, do fill the need for a 'sweet something' at the end of a meal (dinner feels better if it is topped of with a bit of chocolate and a cuppa coffee). they are no more expensive than high quality regular chocolate and they are better for me.

the high price is most likely due to the smaller market. 5 years ago when we started buying organic produce/dairy/meat it was very expensive (100-200% more). now every other grocery store has an organic section and the prices for these products have fallen significantly (still a bit more expensive but not excessive). if the demand for low carb products stays high, the prices will come down (not to the same level as regular product, as i am sure they are harder/more expensive to develop and manufacture).