Thread: Lipitor Rebel
View Single Post
  #34   ^
Old Thu, Sep-09-04, 09:04

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 185/154/155 Male 71
BF:18%+/14%/12%
Progress: 103%

I am 36 and was suffering from high blood pressure, high triglycerides, and high cholesterol sometimes known as Syndrome X.

For over one year I took Lipitor. Before reading about the negative side effects and 5 or 6 months after taking it, I suffered from muscle soreness and muscle loss. I would exit bed in the morning and walk like a much older man for the first few minutes. Memory loss became so bad that I would frequently know the word I wanted to say, but could not produce the word. It was a great relief when I stopped taking Lipitor and these negative effects stopped within weeks.

Since low carbing and losing about 35 pounds I have great blood pressure and much improved cholesterol and triglyceride readings. Finally, my doctor does very little nagging about going on a statin again, although he does bring it up each visit. He is surprised by my progress and asks each visit if I am bored with eating low carb and if I am worried about the increased fat consumption. I think he believes that controlling carbs works, but deeply believes that few people can follow this way of eating for life.

I don't think anyone has suggested the Statin Alert web site in this thread: http://www.statinalert.org I am a Lipitor rebel, too!