Old Mon, May-10-04, 15:04
3 Days at a Time

Plan: OWL
Stats: 150/150/150 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 16%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paris
I began to gain weight before puberty... I was about 8. I didn't notice any noticable weight gain with ABC but I could not lose the weight when I was taking them.

I always thought I had a hard time losing weight on BC, but it turns out I've been doing just fine.

Because of my endometriosis, I pretty much have to be on birth control all the time... and usually I'll take it for three or four months straight without having a period, because my periods are so painful and traumatic.

I did a search on puberty and Insulin Resistance, and found a few interesting things, mostly that most teens seem to go through a phase of IR during puberty (having to do with Insulin's link to growth hormones), which healthy teens "grow out of".

Quote:
Diabetes-Puberty Link

Healthy teenagers grow resistant to insulin in much the same way as people with type 2 diabetes, according to a study done at the University of Alabama Birmingham (UAB) and the University of Southern California. At the onset of puberty, cells in children's bodies grow less responsive to insulin, as reported in the November issue of Diabetes. The findings could aid physicians in the prevention of type 2 diabetes, an increasingly common health problem among young adults. "In most teens, insulin resistance disappears after the end of puberty, and normal metabolism resumes," says Barbara Gower, Ph.D., UAB assistant professor of nutrition sciences. "But we speculate that in others, prolonged insulin resistance and associated stress on the pancreas ultimately lead to the development of type 2 diabetes."

http://diabetes.about.com/library/b...puberty1001.htm

Something to think about, in any case.