Old Mon, Sep-03-01, 11:06
Forum Founder

Plan: LC, GF
Stats: 241/185/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 55%
Smile medications and fat-loss

hi Trish,

Indeed, some medications and health conditions definitely will interfere with fat-loss and weight loss. But it isn't impossible .. just more challenging. And possibly the need to be more "strict" in the food choices. For some of us, a carb is not a carb is not a carb. Meaning, the carbs in vegetables, salads, and lowcarb fruits will be processed a whole lot differently than the carbs in "sugar free" lowcarb treats, the maltodextrin filler in artificial sweeteners, the lactose in dairy products (cheese, cream etc). Posting your menus (and include every bite and every ingredient) will help us spot some potential stallers .... might even help you spot some yourself! Putting things in writing is a great eye-opener!

Medications sometimes have to be accepted as a necessary evil. I too have to take low-dose tricyclics for my fibromyalgia, I accept that I probably will for the rest of my life; without them, I don't sleep and I'm in agony. The trade-off is that they screw up carbohydrate metabolism and serotonin levels. Etc, etc... you know the score.

So your weight loss may be a bit slower. Mine is. But I feel so much better. Energy levels better, and I credit that to keeping my blood sugar and insulin levels stable. It's amazing the mood swings that happened from the sugar-blasts I used to indulge in, from something as "innocent" and "healthy" as a glass of fruit juice!

And definitely exercise ... not just for weight loss but for mood too ... I find exercise to be such a boost, especially in winter, to help the symptoms of Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD).

You can do this, and keep reading and posting here. You've found lots of friends who care..

Doreen