View Single Post
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Nov-10-01, 20:33

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 287.4/255/155 Female 5' 6"
BF:
Progress: 24%

I can't resist putting my 2 cents worth in.

Quote:
I'm specifically interested -- since I'm at the beginning (again) -- to hear from people who have been on LC for awhile to hear what strategies you've accumulated to keep going. Do you have a list of favorite foods/meals? Do you take the "variety is the spice of life" approach and try something new? Are you looking to get to a stage where food is as irrelevant as possible -- it's just fuel (Nat posted that in her journal).

1. I prefer to eat real foods (meats, egg, dairy, veg) and stay away from LC substitutes for high carb food. Except for pita bread in a greek restaurant, I never crave bread. I've decided that if wheat/bread is bad for me, I don't want to find substitutes. Otherwise I might want the real thing .

2. I still have a sweet tooth and the rich LC desserts are my downfall. I haven't figured out how to completely eliminate these from my regime. I know in my head it is slowing my loss, but I still make & consume LC cheesecake & mousses. The emotional and psychological me hasn't caught up with the logical me.

3. (sigh) Food is not yet irrelevant. Part of me wants to view food as fuel only, the other part enjoys the flavours, texture and sheer enjoyment of food and all that goes with food. Food is an integral part of our social lives. Without food getting together with friends would not be as much fun. I think Rachel said something like this at the Vancouver LC dinner last weekend.

Having said all that, my focus is not on food all the time. Many years ago with doing WW, I thought about food ALL day. and I was hungry. Obsessing on food can't be healthy & when I reached that conclusion, I dropped WW. I'm happy to not obsess about food. My friends that are normal, healthy weights don't think about food all the time. They forget to eat, for heaven's sake! I consider my lack of focus on food to be a VICTORY! Yay!

4. I like to try new things occasionally, when I have the energy. Variety IS the spice of life. I love trying new recipes and new foods and combos are what will keep me going for a lifetime. If I'm tired/sick I stick with the old tried & true foods I usually make. **BTW ,if you haven't read my journal, I'm recovering from a herniated lumbar disk, working 5hrs daily right now. I'm working on strengthening my mid & upper back muscles. When they are sore, I don't want to do anything. They have been sore often this week There have been no culinary adventures in my kitchen this week.

5. Not feeling well: If I'm not functioning at my best, I take it easy on myself and don't set any expectations for weight loss. As long as I'm generally LCing and don't gain weight, I'm happy. Likewise if I'm crazy busy or have other stressful events in my life. I'd rather do LC sloppily than go back to high carb eating: ie 40-50 carbs is better than my old levels of carbs Just my opinion.

That's all I can think of right now, I reserve the right to post again another time.