View Single Post
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Nov-08-01, 10:17

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 290/246.5/230 Male 74 inches
BF:??/19/12
Progress: 73%
Default Greetings

I am a type II myself (or was according to who you asked). My doctor was LC friendly, even recommended it. You can see to the left my weight lose, and my last hba1c was 5.8 ~ 114 (yes I like saying that over and over again). I stopped taking meds (Glucaphage, 2 per day) about 6 months ago.

Ruth is right on. Anything that makes more insulin will make it more difficult to lose weight, if not impossible. This was advice my diabetic doctor gave me. In his words "keep insulin down, lose weight. insulin high, gain wieght".

Glucaphage is a really good drug, don't be hestitate to take it. It's the only one that will help you lose weight, and it is not a likely to cause low blood sugars.

Here is some insights on diabetes that my first doctor instilled in me. Diabetes is YOUR problem, not the doctors. No amount of medication will ever take the place of you taking control of your eating habits, neither will exercise although it helps. It's not like cancer or something that you can't do anything about. You can control it or in my case cure it (yes I said cure it).

So, given the advice I was given, let me give you some advice. Drop the dietitian, waste of your money and time. Go in and tell the doctor what you are doing, and that you hope that she will still help you with your medication. Remember that this is your problem, not hers. Doctors save lives and improve the quality of life everyday with many health problems, but this one just so happens to be totally up to you. If she it a good doctor, she will give you a kidney function test, do a blood workup and send you on your way with the standard "I can't imagine what you are doing to yourself inside".

Good luck, and do let us know,
wsgts