View Single Post
  #39   ^
Old Thu, Mar-25-04, 18:28
RockerChik

Plan:
Stats: //
BF:
Progress:

Tarheel, when I said that I felt "soooooooo welcome here", that was a little sarcasm. I actually don't feel welcome (just look at the reactions I continue to get, huh) but I still feel like contributing my opinion. I find debates stimulating and I like to learn from other people's views. That's all, really.

When I said that the "down-home barnyard tales" were makin' me a little nauseous, I meant no animosity toward you. It was said rather tongue-in-cheek, also in an attempt to lighten things up a bit here. So sorry if it was not interpreted as such, honestly! I actually get a cool vibe from your posts. You seem like a great lady.

Incidentally, some of my most rewarding and fascinating experiences have been in working with autistic children. And yes, I agree with you, shows like the Simpsons fairly hynotize kids - kids with disabilities or not. And as a result, that "rudeness" you speak of is running rampant. It's become "the norm" in our culture. It's horrifying, isn't it?

I am a vegetarian in the sense that I still eat fish and dairy, just no meat. It's been a gradual transition off of meat over the years. For a long time I have been feeling ethically wrong about eating it, and it was not agreeing with my digestion.

A few months ago, I experienced "the clincher". My father was raised on a farm in Europe and I call him "The Meat King". His idea of a grand old time was visiting Europe this past summer and assisting in the slaughter of a 250-lb. pig for a huge feast held in his honor. And then bringing home the videotape of the slaughter for the rest of the family to watch. Talk about your "barnyard extravaganzas". I was practically keeling over and in tears before running out of the room. I guess I'm really not cut out for that kinda thing.

You wrote:

"what worries me is that a lot of kids today would think a bucket with a bag of fake blood and bones in it is pretty "cool". Am I alone in thinking this?"

This cracked me up. I didn't even think of that angle, but you are absolutely right. Lots of kids would find this kinda thing totally cool and fun, and relish throwing the fake blood and bones at eachother in the schoolyard.

Teach your children indeed!