View Single Post
  #34   ^
Old Thu, Mar-25-04, 15:38

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Quote:
Lisa N - True, the age of the child who is exposed to violence does make a difference in the degree of their reaction. I will agree with that. Just out of curiosity - what age would you consider appropriate?

As I said in my post earlier, Primary school age children for the most part, lack the cognitive ability to think abstractly and understand abstract concepts. They also tend to be very egocentric...they relate everything to themselves. Some children develop the ability for abstract thinking a bit earlier, some later so it depends very much in the individual child and how mature their thinking is. In general, I would say not before the age of 12 or 13.

Quote:
I'm a New Yorker. As far as 9-11, it sounds as if your husband did his best. Let me tell you something about September 11th. I was working in a day-care center here in New York City on 9/11/01. Several beautiful little kids from my center, ages ranging from 3 to 11, lost a PARENT on 9/11. Ok? Gee. Puts things into perspective, huh? This is the world we are living in. This is the very sad truth.

What perspective would you like me to put it in? New Yorkers aren't the only people in the world who lost friends and loved ones on 9-11. I think you're missing my point that it's better to not deliberately expose young children to the harsh realities of this world, such as the fact that there are maniacs out there who will hijack an airline and crash it into a skyscraper to make a point, before they are cognitively able to understand it. I really feel for those kids who were forced to face such a harsh reality at a young age because circumstances forced it upon them because they are going to have a hard struggle to overcome and it's grossly unfair to force that on a child who is not ready for it, but there is a very big difference between kids who have to face such things due to circumstances and deliberately exposing your kids to such things unnecessarily with the idea that "they're tough and can handle it". Yes, crappy things happen in this world and there are times when you simply don't have it in your power to protect your children from it, but choosing to deliberately put them in contact with those types of situations before they are ready for it is not in the best interest of the child.
When it comes down to it, I think Angeline made a very good point. I think that if you look at it statistically, children who are consistently exposed to violence and a lack of caring from a young age rarely grow up to become caring and non-violent adults. You can't be outraged at its absence if you've never experienced it for yourself.

Quote:
Many of you seem well-spoken and like you have a little time on your hands to clack away here on this forum. Perhaps all of the concerned parents should take the time to write to PETA about their concerns.

Hey...some of us are here as volunteers to moderate the forum and give support. As for voicing my concerns to PETA; there is wisdom in knowing that what you have to say will have all the impact of spitting into the wind. PETA is an extremist organization who will not listen to or consider any viewpoint but their own. They have proved that repeatedly with their actions and disregard for objections to their tactics (see recent article in the Media forum over objections to a couple of billboards they paid for recently and their response to it). They have also shown through their associations that they are willing to support extreme measures (including destruction of private property and endangering human lives) to advance their agenda.
Whether someone chooses to support PETA or not is completely up to them. It is a free country, after all. However, knowing what I do about their tactics and who they choose to support and associate with, I could never support that organization no matter how good I believed their motives to be. Simply put, their means do not justify their ends. I'm against animal cruelty, but I'm also against supporting terrorists because they can benefit your cause. Speaking of their ends, it's PETA's firm belief that eating any animal, no matter how lovingly it was raised in how good a conditions, is wrong and, in effect, murder. If they want to believe that, it's fine with me; they're welcome to not eat meat or use products that came from animals to their heart's content, but when they start trying to force that view on me and my children, I will object strenuously. It's no different than trying to force your religious or philosophical beliefs and values on those who do not share them.