View Single Post
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Jan-10-04, 19:35

Plan: Medifast/Atkins
Stats: 296/166/135 Female 5 feet 7 inches
BF:
Progress: 81%

It's good to see other parents concerned. I should have posted here first! lol My son is 8 and is 4'9, in the third grade. On "beginning weigh in day", he weighed 114. I discussed going low carb with my family doctor, and he was all for it. The only thing he said was to add a multi-vitamin, and not go as strict as an adult on atkins. He still wanted him to have milk, and "natural carbs". not proccessed carbs. My son's done great, and just finished his first week losing 5 pounds. I went in and talked to his teacher so she would be aware of what we're doing, and was very supportive. One thing that I think is important is to let the child make the decision, (with a little encouragement) He came to me over X-mas break and asked to go on a diet. Rather than only having HIM be the only one watching what he's eating, I've incorporated the whole family into low carbing. The adjustment has been a little rocky (mainly for my hubby) but I think the whole family needs to be in support. I've been low carbing for over a year now, and I"ve lost 120 pounds. He see's this and knows it can be done. Best of luck!