#1   ^
Old Sat, Jan-03-04, 09:40

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 196/196/175 Male 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default Why I left, why I'm back

'Lo all,

There's this thing about traveling -- you know, when in Rome . . .

About this time last year, at about the same awful weight, I found this forum, bought several books, and started Atkins. The plan worked well for me. However, every year, long about June, I go to Alaska for the summer months. Have a three-day a week job there that pays for a remote cabin, groceries and fuel for a gas-guzzling borrowed van. I work, I hike, I play with grandchildren.

At first glance, Alaska might seem like an Atkins paradise. I mean, you're served a hunk of moose swimming in gravy-juices with a bear steak on the side. But . . .

Second day there I dropped by to see an old friend and she plunks a platter down in front of me. "You'er just in time, I made you a second breakfast; let me know if you want more." There is bacon AND sausages and three thick hotcakes about the size of manhole covers with a pitcher of warm fireweed syrup . . . And the weekend get togethers, where everyone brings food, groaning outdoor tables of food, and . . .

Didn't gain weight over the summer. Much. But, when I returned I was far away from Atkins and every pound came back.

Haven't formulated a plan for this summer. Yet. But, here I am. Sadder. Wish I could say wiser.
Sponsored Links