View Single Post
  #17   ^
Old Tue, Dec-30-03, 07:48

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Quote:
my FBG was 110. this LC tortilla has a total of 11 g carbs and 8 grams fiber per whole thing, making 3 g of active carbs per serving, and i ate half of it. this will make about 1.5 g of carbs +about 1 g in egg beaters. very low carb breakfast, and still BG spiked very high. on the contrary, i can have FBG sometimes much higher, around TOM, like 135. then i'd have BF with 2-3 bran-a-crisp crackers, some PB and greek lc yougurt. and my 1h BG will be around 90-100. it's a mistery for me but too low carbs and high protein/fat food makes mt BG worse.

Well...comparing those two breakfasts via Fitday, we get the first breakfast with approx. 20 grams protein, 5.5 grams fiber and 2.22 grams fat
The second breakfast has 14.53 grams protein, 9 grams fiber (assuming 2 bran a crisp crackers) and 16.12 grams fat. Add another cracker and you'd have 16.53 grams protein and 13 grams fiber.
Your second breakfast isn't significantly lower in protein, but is higher in both fiber and fat (yes, carbs too), so it would enter your system more slowly than the first breakfast.
I'd be interested in what happens to your blood sugars when you eat a meal that is low in fiber, fat and protein, but higher in carbs and when you eat a breakfast like the second one, do you ever check your blood sugar at around 3 hours? Because of the fat and fiber in the second breakfast, your blood sugars may be going up well after you have checked.