View Single Post
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Oct-10-03, 09:48

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 254/194/180
BF:
Progress: 81%

millermack

Go for it. Low carbing is very compatible with long distance running despite what the professionals will tell you. Perhaps induction phase could be a problem for some but it wasn't for me. I did my first half marathon just a few weeks after starting low carbing, a week after induction. I was slow but that could have been becuase I was 50 pounds heavier. For good training programs go to halhigdon.com, runnersworld.com or just do a search for half marathon training. Just don't listen to hal's advice on nutrition.

I have no problem running 10 to 15 miles on an empty stomach but you should know I'm a late eater. I'm still working off diner on morning runs. For your half just do what worked for you on your longer training runs. You could throw in some gels or sports drinks but for a half you won't be in need of much. It not until you get beyond 2-3 hours that problems really start to develop. I'm sure you've heard about heating the wall at twenty miles into a run. That's when no more readily avaible engery sources are available.

Good luck

Ed