View Single Post
  #98   ^
Old Wed, Sep-24-03, 14:03

Plan: CALP (switched from Atkins)
Stats: 189/169/145 Female 63 inches
BF:Way/too/high
Progress: 45%

I became borderline gestational-diabetic when I got pregnant with my first child at the age of 35. Even though my sugar stabilized after giving birth, I knew that GD put me at a much higher risk for developing type two diabetes, especially with my weight problem and family history. For 18 months after my daughter was born, I struggled with low fat dieting. I managed to lose what I had gained during my pregnancy, then I plateaued. I would have hypoglycemic symptoms before lunch and after work - yawning furiously on the short drive home. Then in May a colleague announced she and her husband were going on Atkins. She's a programmer, like me, and he's an honors graduate of the Naval Postgraduate School in Monterey and one of the smartest people I know. For years I had bought into the "Atkins will kill you mentality", but since John was convinced it was healthy, I secretly bought the book, read it cover to cover in two nights, and went on induction the same time they did. Now I'm approximately 20 pounds down and counting...