View Single Post
  #1   ^
Old Fri, Sep-05-03, 08:19
Registered Member

Plan: My Own
Stats: 280/118/117.5 Female 5ft 5.25 in
BF:
Progress: 100%
Default Does anyone else feel the resistance to atkins is fueled by industry greed?

Now I am a bit conspiracy minded, so this might seem a little out there for some of you.
To me, it seems downright illogical that the mainstream is rebelling against such strong evidence that low carb not only is a workable option for weight management, but works the best by leaps and bounds. It has been proven atkins is effective in curing everything from bad skin to more serious hormonal problems like pcos and diabetes, from mild depression to seizures in children, and of course overweight and obesity. Atkins has been proven in studies against hc to be the more effective woe and is easier to stick with. So, why isn't atkins being touted as the cure it is? If more research needs to be done, why isn't the government pursuing it with the same vigor that seems reserved only for HC diets?

I can't help but feel something is awry. It's no secret the government answers to big industry, especially now with neocon republicans in office; after all, money makes the wheels turn. I feel that something is the grain/prepared food manufacturing corporations.

Think about it. It has been proven in studies, an item which has more in it sells better than an item with "healthy" ingredients, even if they are the same price. The american people vote with their dollars for products with deliver the most quantity for the value, over quality for the value. It would seem in the food industry bigger is better. So, naturally industry is in a perpetual war to invent the next bigger bag of chips and sell it for 1 penny less. Of course, this marketing tactic has a price for us. We all know foods with quality ingredients are more expensive to manufacture, which is why so much of whats on our shelves is nothing more than a base of refined grain, seasoned with cheap flavoring agents like msg and corn syrup. Refined foods are cheap to make and can be sold in large quantities at a relatively low price. Unfortunately, refined foods also make you unhealthy and obese.

Now, I may be daft, but I can't but help think with the BOOMING weight loss industry that many, nay, most people out there care about their health! The fact a booming weight loss industry exists simultaneously with a booming junk and refined food industry seems to fly right in the face of conventional knowledge that the american public doesn't care about their health. If people are conscious of their health, how can they place quantity value at a higher priority? What good is the economy size bag of chips if you are too dead to eat it?

No, the people are not apathetic or indifferent, they are ignorant regarding what is nutritionally sound for them. If they are following the food pyramid, they naively believe that refined grain crap is actually good for them. Then, on top of that they have been told portion size is what ultimately matters, and they have no idea quality and type of food is just as important as watching caloric intake.

Experience tells me wherever there is mass ignorance, there is someone or something which exists off of it, like a cancer or a leech. I think the refined junk merchants benefit from this ignorance, and work diligently to keep the wool pulled over our eyes. They want us to believe quality of ingredients does not matter, because there is a much larger room for profit when your product costs nickles to produce, than if it had cost dimes. An educated public is detrimental to their business model. An educated people will still demand competitive prices, however a new element is added to the fray of free market competition: incentive to use quality ingredients. This lowers profit margin. This is not good for big industry.

This is why there is such a strong resistance towards atkins.
Atkins represents a back to basics approach, a return to whole, unprocessed, expensive food which is absolutely fatal to the refined garbage which dominates the food industry. Atkins is also fatal to the booming weight loss industry, which capitalizes on the havoc caused by the former.
There is great financial incentive for the big guys to keep people believing they will die of ketoacidosis and heart disease for eating low carb, and the american people are paying the price.

Industry funds politicians, politicians in turn protect industry, and protecting the refined food merchants means vilifying atkins. Its a sorry conclusion, but one I can't logically deny.

What are your thoughts?
Sponsored Links