View Single Post
  #34   ^
Old Sat, Aug-30-03, 16:06

Plan: low cal, low carb
Stats: 196/145/140 Female 5'6.5
BF:23%
Progress: 91%

Hey you are not doing your body any good with this. Do you honestly think that that 1.5 lb weight you took off and then put back on was anything other than water? You can't defy the laws of physics so there is nothing at all 'strange' going on...it takes 3500 net calories excess above your maintenance calorie needs to gain a lb of fat. So did you eat that much? My advice to you before you do some damage to your metabolism and goodness knows what else would be to throw away the scales for 6 months and get your measurements taken via calipers at the gym...its BF that you need to lose, not weight. If you take anyone's weight loss over a period of time- if you start out significantly OW, there will be a rapid decline of weight at the beginning which levels out here and there and then drops a bit again etc. It is natural to have rest periods which you call stalls..but even then fat can be burning off, and with exercise, heavier muscle tissue replaces it. When you take most people's total weightloss from start to goal and average it, it tends to come out at 3-4 lbs a month. So obsessing in this manner about a few pounds on the unreliable scales is unhealthy for you. The fat fast was meant to help people out of 6 week plus plateaus rather than as a rapid weight loss technique..I would bet Dr Atkins would be spinning in his grave if he knew how people misunderstand and abuse his WOE. His diet gives you a metabolic advantage, not a magic physics defying bullet. The menu you described is not giving you enough nutrition...if doing it broke a 'stall' then good, but get back to nutrition and figure that some of that weight loss would have had to be just water anyway- just like at the beginning, when half the first week's loss is.
It worries me a lot that people don't work on learning to eat well and lose weight permanently..any excessive and restrictive attempts at rapid weight loss will just slow your metabolism and you will pay the price when you are my age and have had a lifetime of doing this stuff.

Scales are too unreliable. For heavens sake, people can show a 4 lb 'gain' in the same day and lose it again in the morning! Do yourself a favor and throw away the scales.

V.