View Single Post
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Aug-30-03, 00:38

Plan: Dr Bernstein
Stats: 195/175/170
BF:
Progress: 80%

My reservation about it is, they're still singing the praises of so-called "complex carbohydrates." Really, if you look at the GI, there's only a piffling difference between brown rice and white rice - they're both disastrous to my diabetic system and therefore probably equally bad for IR type people. Or anyone, for that matter. And "whole grain" bread? same story, GI only marginally different for wholewheat vs baloon bread. And in fact, lots of the "crafty" multi grain breads are loaded with molasses, honey, stuff like that. The only really low GI foods are things like broccoli, cauliflower, lettuce, stuff like that. I think they're just trying to salvage the pyramid, by telling us to eat the mythical "whole grain" starches. As Dr Bernstein says "Sugar?You may ask, holding up a slice of coarse-ground, seven grain bread. This is sugar? In a word, YES, at least after you digest it." Really, once they accept the concept of GI, they're conceding to dr A's premises, and may as well give up. Bill