Thread: Im 13
View Single Post
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Aug-12-03, 11:10

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 284/207/155 Female 5 feet 5 inches
BF:
Progress: 60%

Hi there! I came to the students/teen area to get information for my son. He is 14, 5'10", and 260#. He is a very handsome and loveable young man, regardless of what he weighs. But, as you can tell by his numbers, my concern is for his health. He, his dad, and I have all recently started the Atkins program. That is our whole household, so I cleaned all the cupboards out and stocked them with things allowable on the Induction program. As his mother, I make sure to closly monitor how he feels throughout the day. So far, he has reported feeling more in control of his appetite and the only thing he is really missing is soda/pop. He knows that if at any time he feels deprived or pressured with this way of eating, he can come to me and we will work something else out.

I agree that this program is probably not a great thing for you to throw yourself into, for a couple of reasons. First of all, from your stats you are only 125 pounds and desire to be 110...at 5'6". As a young man, you probably still have some growing to do in height--this will lengthen you out in itself. Also, your body will fill out somewhat with muscle as your male body ages. Being too thin can be as unhealthy as being too overweight.

I know it is hard at your age to understand that a healthy body is much more important than looking exactly like people in a fashion magazine. What you do now can determine your health and happiness in the future. Find interests that keep your body active, and eat mostly healthy foods (meat, vegetables, fruits). Don't deprive yourself of the treats that your friends will be eating in front of you. Just have a handful of chips instead of the whole bag.

Bottom line, do not be so worried about your weight at this time. Your present weight (125#) is not at all too much for being 5'6". Do you have someone you can talk to about your feelings about yourself? How about your parents, a teacher, school nurse, family doctor, or a pastor. It is completely normal for teenagers to think their bodies aren't perfect. Please find someone to talk to.