View Single Post
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Jun-12-03, 20:36

Plan: Suzanne Somers'
Stats: 142/118/115 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 89%
Default Depends on how strict you want to be.

You CAN find breads without sugars in them, but it's not easy. If you enjoy baking there are many really good recipes out there you can use. Ezekiel is the most widely available "legal" bread I've been able to find. Try looking in health food stores and you'll probably have better luck. Trader Joe's has a couple of types of bread that have no sugar also.

When Suzanne talks about "carbos" she is referring to carbohydrates derived from grains in particular. So combining grain based carbos with fat or proteins is what she really means. If you can get your hands on one of her books she covers all this pretty well in her explanations, with lots of FAQ sections that seemed to hit on many of the questions I had.

I NEVER eat bread with any kind of sugar in it. That is one of the areas where I refuse to cheat. We all have our little obsessions and that one is mine. Combining high carbs with sugar is exactly what this WOE is trying to teach us not to do, so I take that fairly seriously. If I'm going to cheat at all in that department I do it with fruit; i.e. I get raisin bread sometimes, but if it's got honey or molasses or dehydrated cane juice or maple syrup etc. I don't go there.

I got a bread maker and make two kinds of breads, the ones that are virtually no carbs, made with whey powder and flaxseed flower etc, and the whole grain ones. I eat one type with my eggs and butter and the other with fat free dairy only.

Whole grains are always going to be better for you than stripped grains though, so even if you don't want to Soomersize you will definitely be better off choosing the products you list over the ones full of refined carbs and sugars.

Heavy whipping cream contains NO carbs, and this is what Suzanne tells us to cook with. Regular whipping cream contains about 1g of carbs per serving. My full fat cottage cheese says >1g of carbs on it, so it's pretty low too. Same for Philidephia Cream Cheese. She talks about specific brands in her books and on her site since not all foods are the same. It amazes me how much variation there is on the most simple foods... like extracts for example. Half of them use corn syrup even though they say "100% pure" on the label!

You might try visiting her site at www.suzannesomers.com and look in the discussion section under "legal foods and brands." The site is really helpful in finding specific brands in different parts of the world that suit SS needs.

Good Luck!

MB